A Music Resource & Online Community
Last updated on 19 October, 2005
If you have questions or concerns about eurekster's collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information, please email us at email@example.com.
Like you, we hate the thought of someone misusing personal information. Here are our key promises to you:
2. We will do all we can to protect your identity so you are not contacted by people you don't want to contact you due to your joining eurekster.
3. If you decide at any time to unsubscribe from eurekster, your connections to the rest of your network are removed, and we will not contact you again.
If you just browse our web site or use our search service and do not sign-up for the eurekster service, we will only collect anonymous information from you, such as tracking the web pages you visit, to help us improve the service.
If you sign-up for the service, we will collect Personally Identifiable Information from you such as your email address and contact details. Existing eurekster members may invite you to join the service; if so, they will enter your email address in the service and send you an email invitation. We will retain this 3rd party Personally Identifiable Information in that case only to track and match the invitation to you if you decide to visit our web site and accept the invitation.
We collect three types of information from you:
- Personally Identifiable Information that you submit to us when you sign-up for the service or when you use the service as a logged-in user. Your Personally Identifiable Information is information that identifies or can be used to identify, contact, or locate you, or from which your identification or contact information can be derived. Examples include your name, email address, telephone number, etc. Note that if you enter Personally Identifiable Information as keywords intended for other Eurekster Services users to see or in a Eurekster searchbox on the Eurekster website with the private search box unticked or a 3rd party website with a Eurekster provided searchbox, your "eurekster Search" terms or on other websites, that information will be visible to others in the displayed list of searches or websites.
- Passively Collected Personally Identifiable Information that we create in the form of statistics and logs. This information may be linked to your Personally Identifiable Information that you submit to us in order to track, improve, and personalize the service for you. Examples include Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks.
- Anonymous information, meaning information from which your Personally Identifiable Information cannot be extracted or deduced. An example is statistics on how often users visit the various web pages.
We do not collect or match information about you from other sources, such as public records or bodies, or private organizations.
We do not knowingly collect information from children.
You may choose to make some of your Personally Identifiable Information and other information visible to other users in your network of contacts on eurekster, or possibly beyond. This is necessary for the operation of some parts of the service, and is under your control. An example of information you may choose to disclose is your email address when you send invitations to others to join eurekster.
We use your Personally Identifiable Information and Anonymous Information for the following purposes:
- Operation of the service
- Technical administration of the web site
- Research and Development, to improve the services and develop new ones
- Customer support and administration
- Marketing, but only to market specific new eurekster services and features to you, through the use of emails and newsletters. You can request not to receive such communication ("opt-out"), by changing your notification preferences under "My Account," after logging on.
This section describes the circumstances in which we disclose your information to others.
Our services are hosted by Hosting and Internet Service Providers. The information we collect from you is collected and stored on their systems, on our behalf. They have agreed to not use your information for any other purpose and to not disclose your information to any 3rd party.
We have independent business partners who run complementary services to eurekster. We will share your Personally Identifiable Information with them only upon your specific "opt-in" approval, in order for the complementary services to operate.
We will disclose your address and contact details to postal, courier, or other companies in order to deliver you material that you have specifically requested or indicated willingness to receive.
We may share anonymous information with others at our discretion, but your Personally Identifiable Information cannot be extracted from this information.
We may disclose your personal information if we believe the law requires us to do so, in order to comply with a judicial proceeding, a court order, or legal process served on us.
We do not trade in your Personally Identifiable Information with any other person or organization not mentioned above without your specific permission.
A "cookie" is a small data file transferred by our web site to your computer's hard drive. We send cookies when you visit our web site or use the service. Accepting the cookies used on our site does not give us access to information on your computer other than the cookie itself, but we may use the cookies to identify your computer.
Many cookies are "session" cookies, meaning the cookie does not stay on your computer after you leave our web site or close your browser. Cookies that remain on your computer are called "permanent" cookies.
We urge you to not check "remember my settings on this computer" when logging-in on a computer that is not yours or that you share with others. If you have previously set this on a computer, you can remove the cookie by logging-off and then logging in again with the "remember my settings" box unchecked.
When you send or retrieve information from our web site, the information will travel over the Internet, perhaps even internationally. The security and safety of your information while in transit is outside our control.
If you are a member, we will retain your Personally Identifiable Information for as long as you are a member of eurekster. If you unsubscribe from the service, we reserve the right but not the obligation to delete your information from our records.
If you wish to access, correct, update, or remove your Personally Identifiable Information that you submitted to us, you can do so by logging on to eurekster and selecting "Manage My Account". If you submitted the information as part of a service, such as setting up a Swicki™ service, you can directly edit the information in the relevant service area of the web site.
You can also ask us if we keep personal data on you by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you contact us, we will send you an email to your preferred email address on your account and you must reply to that email before we take action on your account. This is for your protection, to validate that someone else is not trying to access or modify your information. If your preferred email address is no longer valid, you must login to the service and modify the email address. If your preferred email address is no longer valid and you do not recall your password, you can request by clicking on "?" by the login box that you password be sent to any alternate email addresses you have configured on your account. If you have no valid alternate email addresses on your account, you can contact us by email from another email address to explain and give as many details as you can recall of your contacts and account settings. At our discretion, we may assist you with reactivating the account, but it is likely we will request that you open a new account.
If you have no account with us, we will reply directly to the email from which you sent your request (note that in this case we hold none of your Personally Identifiable Information).
We will reply to you by email within one week, at no charge.
We allow you to challenge the Personally Identifiable Information that we hold about you and, where appropriate and possible, you may have it erased, corrected, or completed.
If the change is to use your Personally Identifiable Information for new purposes related to the eurekster services within eurekster, our sub-contractors, and current business partners, we offer you these ways to opt-out from those new purposes:
- You can login to your account at http://www.eurekster.com. This is the fastest and easiest way. In some cases, we may offer you the option to opt-out of the new usage. In all cases you have the option to unsubscribe from the service.
- by sending an email to email@example.com
If the change is to use your Personally Identifiable Information for a new service with a new business partner, we would inform you specifically about the new service in the "What's New" section of the web site and possibly through our email newsletter, unless you have selected to not receive newsletters. We would only disclose your Personally Identifiable Information to the new business partner if you specifically consent ("opt-in") to the new service.
We send you a welcoming email after you sign-up to tell you how to get started with the service. Established members will occasionally receive information on our services, announcements, and a newsletter. Out of respect for your privacy we give you the option to opt-out and not receive many of these types of communications.
By default all users are subscribed to our newsletters. You may choose to not receive them by logging-on and changing your preferences under "My Account."
On rare occasions it is necessary to send you a strictly service related announcement. For instance, if our service is suspended for maintenance for an extended period we might send you an email. It is not possible for you to opt-out of these communications, although you do have the option to unsubscribe from the service.
We communicate with you to provide services you request and in response to issues with your account. We generally reply by email, but we will reply by phone or by post if circumstances require it.
eurekster will always make every effort to protect your information. When sensitive information is submitted via the web site it is protected both on-line and off-line.
During any future online payment process, when sensitive information such as your credit card number is entered, we will provide SSL secure encryption service to protect your information.
When you use a computer other than your own to access eurekster, we urge you to NOT select "remember my settings on this computer" when you log-in, and when you are finished to logout of the site, clear the Internet Browser offline content (or cache), and close the browser session.
We act to protect your information off-line. Our services operate in a locked environment with access control and intrusion detection. All information relating to you is restricted in our organization. Only those employees and sub-contractors who specifically need the information to perform their job (such as our support team) are given access to Personally Identifiable Information. All employees are obliged to sign our Employee Privacy Agreement, and all sub-contractors have agreed to not use your Personally Identifiable Information for any other purpose and to not disclose it to anyone else.
The web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites. We encourage you to be aware of this when you leave our site and to read the privacy statements of other sites. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by web sites under the eurekster.com domain.